Saturday, 11 January 2020

Tilly And The Buttons Rosa Dress - Make Nine 2019 #8

This is number eight on my 2019 Make Nine, and I finished it on Boxing Day (number nine is also done, but there was drama - it's for another post).  Anyway, this is the Tilly And The Buttons Rosa Dress, which is a pattern I've have for a few years now but never made.



I ended up drafting the pattern myself because I knew I'd have too many fitting issues, but I've kept to the orginal pattern as much as possible.

 

 

I made two changes, the first to the back yoke which I cut straight instead of a V shape.


The second was to the sleeves.  I used my self-drafted three-quarter length sleeves with button cuffs, but instead of using a bias cut strip of fabric to face the placket, I used the placket facing from the Rosa pattern long sleeve and cuff.
  
 

I haven't seen this type of placket facing before and thought it was a great idea, so I drafted the pattern piece, and then followed the pattern instructions to sew it.


Another thing I love is the the button placket.  I'd normally cut a placket as one with the garment front, interface it and then press it under; but this placket is cut separately.  In one of the examples on the pattern, the placket and inside collar stand are cut from another fabric, and it looks lovely.

 

The pattern instructions were great for the faux flat-felled seams and also the top stitching, and I love how they turned out.  For the top stitching I used my 1/4" foot, and, as you can see in the photo below, it has a little guide on the right which I lined up with the seam.  I was then able to move the needle to the width I wanted, and used the guide to keep the stitching line straight.





And finally, I absolutely love this chambray fabric.  It's from lovely Becs at Oh Sew! and it's called Planets Chambray.  And I've just noticed that she lists the Rosa dress as pattern idea for it.  Great minds think alike!


Lynne

10 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous as a longer dress. You've really nailed the fit. I was drawn to the packets from the top picture so it was nice to see more details about them - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think I made it about 2 inches above my knee, and I copied the width of the hem from the original pattern. I've surprised myself by loving the yoke, and I might try this as the shirt version.

      Delete
  2. Well done it s a great job! All the details look perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne, your dress looks fabulous. What a lovely colour and the planet design is great. The sleeve placket is so unusual and I think you're right that it would make a great shirt too. Your topstitching is so neat and beautiful. Thanks for reminding me about the 1/4" foot that I've forgotten I bought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! I love this placket design, and will definitely use it again. Oh my goodness, the 1/4" foot is so handy for top stitching. Mine came with my machine, and I use it a lot.

      Delete
  4. It's a great dress and fits you so well! The fabric looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I love this fabric so much!!

      Delete
  5. It's a perfect dress, as ever I am in awe of your amazing sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.