This dress was inspired by Vogue 8577 after I saw a gorgeous version on Instagram made by Becky from Studio Snippets. Becky's version was made from some Hemingway Designs fabric, which made me recall the Hemingway Designs fabric I had in my stash that I bought from Marie from A Stitching Odyssey during a de-stash a couple of years ago.
My dress is self-drafted, and I used the gathers at the shoulders and the big pockets. I left out the separate waist piece, back shoulder yoke and centre back seam.
The bodice was easy to draft, I just rotated the bust dart into the shoulder and gathered it instead of sewing a dart. Ignore the lines at the shoulder seam, I was trying for pleats but it didn't work out.
The pockets are copied from Simplicity 1610 (which I made here), and I always loved the pockets on this dress. The pocket is made in one piece - the outside curve is sewn right sides together. (Please excuse my fluffy carpet in these photos!).
Seam allowance is trimmed, clipped, pressed and understitched.
From the wrong side of the skirt, the pocket is folded back on itself to line up across the top and the side seam.
It's sewn in place across the top and side seam, then the bottom of the pocket is sewn. I overlocked it in this photo.
And this is what it looks like from the right side. I cut the pocket piece on the same grainline as the skirt, so the print would be in the same direction.
I forgot to take into account the seam allowance on the waist dart, and the pocket edge and dart are about 5mm out. This is not the end of the world, and the busy print hides it! I have fixed it on my pattern though.
|The smug face of someone who loves their pockets!|
My buttons are from Textile Garden, and are called Corozo buttons. Apparently they are made from nuts, and they are lovely!
Have a great weekend,