My sister bought me this pattern for Christmas (the pattern being Deer and Doe Sureau), and the fabric is some suiting that came from the sale table in The Spinning Wheel in Belfast. I think I paid about £12 for it.
I'm going to start off by saying that this is an epic fail (hence no modelled photos) - except for two things (I am nothing, if not contrary!). Let's start with the bad...
1. The front shoulders. I made a toile and the shoulders were too high, so I took a bit out at the neck edge of the shoulder seam on the front and back. On my toile I got some drag lines going from the neck seam to the front underarm. I hadn't set the sleeves in very well, and though that was the problem. Turns out I was wrong. I should have only taken a bit out of the shoulder seam on the bodice back. Of course I realised this one the dress was finished!
2. The next problem is that the bodice is too wide between the underarms and waist. I could take it in, but it has a side zip, and as I'm not going to wear it, there is no point.
3. The gathers skirt. From past experience I know that the only gathered skirts that suit me are ones' that are made from the width of the fabric, and the fabric is cotton. Frumpsville anybody?! What was I thinking?
4. The colour of the fabric. A valuable lesson was learnt here. Up close, ie when I was holding the fabric in the shop and sewing it, this fabric is lovely. It has little stripes of red, green and purple/blue. I loved it.
|See what I mean?|
But from a distance - blurg!! It looks like something straight out of a Victorian melodrama! In future I shall be taking a few steps back from the fabric to see what it looks like from a distance.
The good bits:
1. The sleeves are great because they fit. I've working on my Craftsy pattern drafting classes, and had been having trouble trying to get my sleeves to fit. I have finally (hopefully!) cracked it with these. After a lot of toiles, these sleeves are a Sureau/self-drafted hybrid; but, crucially they fit. I can actually reach forward without fear of the back giving way - always a bonus!
2. I mentioned in this post about trying to come up with a way of attaching an invisible zip into a side seam with a pocket. I really got a bee in my bonnet about this, and was determined to find a solution - and I think I have!
I've made lots of notes, but want to try it again before I blog about it. It seems to have worked quite well though.
I did take a bit of a gamble with this dress. I couldn't decide whether or not to try and draft it myself from my block, but I've found the Deer and Doe patterns fit me pretty well, so I went with the pattern instead. It also turned out to have a lot of fitting issues with the back which I won't bore you with. I will try it again at some stage, because it's a lovely pattern, but I will draft the bodice and do something different with the skirt. Ah well, it's not the end of the world and I don't have many epic fails, so all in all, I can live with this failure.
I did learn from it though, and drafted my next make from my block. It's the Colette Patterns Hawthorn dress, but the details are for another post. It's nearly finished, I did the buttonholes and buttons after lunchtime today, and now I'm waiting for some bias tape that I ordered on ebay so I can do the hem and armholes.
Have a great week,