This skirt has been in the planning since May. The reason it took so long was because I didn't have any fabric for it. The pattern is By Hand London Charlotte skirt, but as you can see, I've added my own flare to it - see what I did there!
I've had this in mind since I saw this gorgeous skirt on Lauren's blog. Shortly after I saw this, I made my first Charlotte skirt, which is lovely, but not the easiest thing to walk in. I loved the flounce because I think it makes it more wearable, and it looks fab.
The create the flounce, I followed the instructions in Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing. They are on pages 92 - 93 and 132, if you have the book. The flounces in the book are different shapes, but the principle is the same. It really was easy; decide where the flounce is going, cut that piece of the pattern off, slash and spread, and add the seam allowances. I was going to do a how-to, but this post from Madalynne explains the basic idea.
My fabric is the left-overs from my Elizalex dress. Gosh, I love this dress! I wear it all the time. It's 55% linen and 45% cotton from Backstitch, and it was £10.50 a metre. It looks quite pink in these photos, but it's more purple in real life.
It's a bit drapey though, so I underlined it, as I knew the flounce would need a bit of body. The underlining fabric is pink satin polyester from The Paragon on Donegall Pass in Belfast. It's lovely and thick, and was less that £5 a metre.
I changed the waistband slightly. The original Charlotte waistband is cut in one piece, and folded in two lengthwise. I didn't think this fabric would be sturdy enough for that, even with interfacing. So I cut two waistbands, and seamed them at the top for more structure. Also, I didn't make the darts on the lining, I just pleated the lining fabric in instead.
The bottom of the inside of the waistband is supposed to be hand-stitched down, but my thread was a really good match for my main fabric, so I sewed it as close the outside edge of the waistband as possible. I thought that if I wasn't happy with it, I would unpick it and hand sew it; but as I can bearly see the stitching in the photo below, it's staying!
I love how this turned out! It was a pretty quick make (apart from all the hand stitching for the underlining), and now I think I need another one in green.