This is my first Anna dress, and definitely won't be my last! Gosh, this was easy to make.
I had originally planned to make the maxi length version in purple (which will be my next make), but then I read this post from Winnie. Her mention of black linen reminded me of some black linen I had bought a couple of years ago from Minerva Crafts, so I thought I'd test the pattern out on it.
I'd been holding out for the sewalong for the fba, but the way it's done on the sewalong ends up with a bust dart. I didn't want a bust dart, so I used this tutorial from Lazy Stitching instead. It was really easy, and I can see how I could use it on other patterns too. The photo below shows the finished bodice and gorgeous pleats.
The only fitting problem I had was the shoulders. The shoulder seams are too far back from the top of the shoulders. You can see in the photo below that the green arrows are pointing to the seam line (I know it's pretty hard to see!), and the white lines are roughly were the top of my shoulder is. The same thing happened on my Elisalex dress (I don't think I mentioned it in my post though). I used my lining as a toile on Elisalex, so was able to fix it before I cut out the main fabric, but I totally missed it on this! But it will be easy to fix on the next one. Also, I am going to bring the inside edges of the shoulders in a bit, as my shoulders are narrow.
This photo shows the shoulder seam a bit better. This is the back of the dress, and the pin is where the top of my shoulder is. Also, you can just about see on the left that I used some black bias tape instead of facing. I also used Sonja from Ginger Makes great tutorial on adjusting the gaping back. I adjusted mine by 1/2 inch on each side.
The only thing about this dress is that I don't know if I'll wear it that much simply because it's black. I used to wear black a lot, but not so much these days. A black dress is a very handy thing to have though, so I added some saddle stitch ribbon just above the hem to try and make it a bit less none more black, and I'm pleased with how the ribbon turned out.
I finished this over a week ago, but I still haven't started anything new because I've been busy with some Christmas crafting. Yeah, I know. Sorry to mention the Christmas word. I'm going to start Anna number two tomorrow.