My second By Hand London Anna is finished. This time I went with the maxi length version. I love a maxi dress (and skirt); being small, it makes me feel taller. Don't know what that's about!
My fabric is a 55% linen / 45% cotton mix from Backstitch, the colour is called Loganberry. It's the same fabric I used for my Elizalex dress, just a different colour. I bought 3 metres, and had less than a metre left, but I did cut 11 inches off the length of the pattern. I fixed the issue I had with the shoulder seams on my first Anna,
and I also lined it. The lining fabric is some purple satiny stuff that came from my Granny. I made the skirt lining knee-length, but didn't have enough fabric, so I ended up cutting the two skirt centre back pieces in the opposite direction. My lining technique was "interesting"! I did the neck-line as a normal lining, but then treated the rest of the bodice as underlining. On the skirt I sewed the three front pieces together, then treated them as underlining, and the same with the two back pieces on each side.
It was a bit of a faff, but I wanted to be able to adjust the side seams if necessary, because I ended up taking the side seams in a bit on my first one. It was worth it because it made fitting the side seams really easy.
I did do one stupid thing though. I was trimming the extra side seam allowance on my overlocker, and cut a hole in the skirt lining! I may have said something like "oh, knickers" when it happened. So I sewed around the hole to stop it fraying, then sewed a patch over it so the tear won't catch on anything. It could have been a lot worse - it could have been the main fabric! Lesson learnt - pay attention when overlocking with the blade up!
I also set myself a little challenge on this make. I sewed the main fabric together on my Granny's Singer Featherweight machine. I sewed the lining on my machine because I could only find one bobbin that fitted the Featherweight, and I wasn't going to start unwinding a bobbin every time I wanted to use a different colour of thread. I also used my machine for putting in the zip. I was going to talk about it in this post, but I have a lot to say, so I'll put it in a separate post here, but I'll leave you with a picture of it in all it's gorgeous-ness!