Here's my first go at a Frankenpattern - the bodice is good old Simplicity 2444, and the skirt is Serendipity Studios Sabrina Tunic.
This is what happened... The Sabrina Tunic was one of the first patterns I bought and I had been planning to make it for a while, but it kept getting bumped down the queue - you know how it goes! So anyway, I traced the pattern, and realised the bodice was really short. Now, being pretty short myself, short bodices are not a problem I've encountered before; so I googled it, and found the pattern link on the Serendipity Studios web site. In the description it says it's empire waist, which would explain the bodice length, and empire line is not a good look on me.
It was difficult to tell from the photo on the pattern envelope that it was an empire line (it's the photo on the right on the pattern link page), it's even a bit hard to see on the model in the photo on the left because the lower sash seems to pull the waist in a bit. I'm generally not a big fan of a sash, although I do think it looks lovely on this, but it wasn't the look I had in mind.
I briefly thought about lengthening the bodice, but I just couldn't be bothered! Then I thought, "I know! I'll use the bodice from Simplicity 2444, and the skirt from Sabrina". And the reason this is most definitely a Frankenpattern is because I had that idea when I was watching a thunder storm from the box room window!
The bodice came together easily as I've made it twice before (here and here). Sadly the lovely darts got a bit lost in the print on the fabric.
The skirt on the Sabrina Tunic is supposed to be gathered, but I thought it would look nicer with darts that corresponded with the darts on the bodice. This was were having my dress form was invaluable. I put the bodice on the dress form, and just mucked about with the skirt pattern pieces until I was happy that the darts matched up with the darts on the bodice. It did take a bit of time though.
I winged it with the length of the darts, and ended up having to length the front outside darts and the back darts.
I'm very pleased with how the top of the invisible zip turned out, I usually make a bit of a mess of that bit! Sadly the rest of the zip isn't as invisible as it should be!
The fabric is cotton poplin from Minerva Crafts, they don't seem to have it anymore though. I made a skirt with this earlier in the year, and had 1m 10cm of it left. It was 60 inches wide, which was how I managed to squeeze this dress out of it.
This style of dress is new to me, as I have so far made dresses with big skirts. I wasn't sure if I would be happy with this more fitted skirt, but I really like it.