Sunday, 9 June 2013

Wimbledon Summer Garden Granny Square Blanket

My Granny Square blanket is finished, and I love it!  The pattern is Attic24's Summer Garden Granny Squares.  Here's a link to the Ravelry page, and here's a link to the Attic24 website.
According to my Ravelry project page, I started this last September.  I really wasn't sure if I would stick with it, and didn't do too much at the start.  Then, I think it was around Christmas, I realised how portable granny squares are, and started to bring it into work to do at lunchtime.  I found I could do one square, including sewing in the ends, in one lunch break (including eating my lunch of course!).

Each square is about 4 inches square, and I worked out that I needed 225 squares for a 5 foot square blanket.  Above is what said 225 squares look like all together.  For ease of counting, I tied them together with red wool in piles of 10.

I loved making the squares; once I got the pattern in my head they were really easy, and required no thought.  I crocheted them in work, watching television, and even in the car (I wasn't driving though - obviously!).  I was quite sad to finish them, especially when putting them all together turned out to be more epic than I expected - and I did expect it to be epic! 
This really is a complete Attic24 project because the edging and the method used to put the squares together are both from the website.  Here's a link to how to crochet the squares together.  The above photo shows some stage in the middle of it all!  It was very easy to do, and the instructions are great, but I can not stress just how time-consuming this was.

Here's what it looked like with all the squares joined together, before I started the edging.
I decided I wanted three rows of edging, and crocheted two rows of 3 treble clusters in green, then purple.  The last round, in white, is a shell edging -   here's is the link.  The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that I left out round 1, this is because by this stage I was losing the will to live.  I think crocheting the squares together, and crocheting the edging took me about 15 hours.
I tried to take a photo of the shell, but it's not easy to see. 

I thought you might be interested to see the hook I used.  It's a Clover Reflections hook that I bought in a set in I Knit last year.  These hooks are the bees knees, and definitely worth the money in my opinion. 

The yarn is James C Brett Top Value DK.  Unfortunately I lost count of how many balls I used, and also how many I bought, so I've no idea of a final number for each colour.  Also, I think it crocheted up really well.  Each square has a good structure, and it's nice and soft, and not at all like that weird squeaky acrylic - you know the stuff I mean. 

I'm so pleased with my blanket, it really is fantastic (even if I say so myself), but I don't see me making another one any time soon!
Have a great week,


  1. It looks great, and you finished it just in time for this year's Wimbledon!! You'll be able to snuggle and watch the tennis at the same time.

    1. Thank you! I did time it well, and that sounds like a great idea!

  2. It's turned out fabulously - well worth the time and effort. I like the effect of only using three colours as well.

    1. Thank you! I love the multi colour blankets, but I'm not great a putting colours together, and was afraid it could end up being a bit of a dog's breakfast!

  3. Oh my, what an epic project! It turned out great!

  4. Congratulations! It looks lovely and snugly. Granny Square blankets are the greatest and finishing one is such a satisfying feat.

  5. Oh WOW! Thats all I have to say! I admire you`re work!

  6. It looks great! I think people often don't realise how much work goes into a blanket like this. Good job seeing it through, enjoy!


Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.