I've been loving this pattern from afar for a while now after seeing some gorgeous versions, namely Zoe's from So, Zo..., Rochelle's from Lucky Lucille, and Roisin from Dolly Clackett's recent version (I love the Eiffel Tower fabric!). In fact Roisin inspired the fabric too, but more of that later.
The pattern is Project Runway Simplicity 2444. I'm not sure why mine looks so battered. There are lots of variations on this pattern; neck band, collar, long sleeves, short sleeves, waist bow. I just went with the plain bodice and no sleeves.
The fabric came from Minerva Crafts. It's cotton poplin, 45" wide, and £6.99 a metre. I used 2.5 metres. I first saw it on here on Roisin's blog, and loved it. Then I spotted it on the Minerva Crafts website, and had to have some.
I really like the darts on the bodice. Instead of bust and waist darts, it has double waist darts that are on a diagonal. It's a bit difficult with the busy fabric print, but hopefully you can see them in the photo below. The skirt has pleats at the front and back, and a centre seam at the front.
I made a size 4 at the shoulders, size 10 at the underarms, and size 12 at the waist. The bodice length is size 12, and I didn't have to shorten it, therefore it would probably be a bit too short for most people. I lowered the back neck by 3.5cm, and shortened the front darts by 1 inch. Although I think I could sew the bottom of the darts in a bit more at the front as it feels a bit loose at the front waist. Also the neckline gaps a little bit, but I can live with it. I mention this because I want to make these adjustments on the next one, because there will be a next one! I have the fabric already. The skirt is size 12 with no alterations.
I lined the bodice with some white cotton lawn, but forgot to take some photos of it. I hadn't lined a bodice before, and used this tutorial. I had been a bit scared of lining a bodice, but, honestly, it was so easy! Much easier than faffing around with facings, and also easier than using bias tape as facing. I can recommend it.
In crocheting news, my Granny Square blanket is oh so nearly finished. I just have to finish the shell edging on one side, but more of that another time.