Sunday, 23 May 2010



Most of my recent knitting time has been taken up with this. It's another Ysolda pattern.  I can't even begin to express the frustration I had with starting this. The tension on the pattern says "Worsted to Chunky weight yarn, any yarn with recommended gauge of 18-14 sts per 4" can be used to give different effects". Fair enough; but then it says to use 7mm needles, and the sizes are from 30 to 54 inches, going up 4 inches each time. Result: I hadn't a bloomin clue what size to go for as I was using Aran weight.

So I hit Ravelry, with no luck. All the gorgeous finished Liesls were mocking me! I decided to wing it, and swatched about 4 times. Then I cast on and frogged with a variety of different sizes and different sized needles. This must have happened about 6 times. To say it wasn't going well is an understatement!

But I loved the pattern so much, and my yarn is such a gorgeous colour; so I went back to Ravelry. My big problem was getting it to fit around my neck. I stumbled upon a suggestion to cast on with larger needles and knit a few rows of garter stitch before changing to smaller needles and starting the pattern. Also, a lot of people using Aran had gone up two sizes on the pattern.

I would usually go with 32 inches, but as this went from 30 to 34 inches, I took a punt on 38 inches, and cast on with 8mm needles. I did 3 rows of garter stitch, changed to 7mms, and here is the result:

I love it so much!! And it fits perfectly!! Hurray!!! :) It's a much nicer colour than in this photo, and I've done a bit more of the left sleeve. I've detailed everything on my Rav page. I'll post a photo as soon as it's finished.

OXO Socks

My sock is coming along slowly as I have only managed to do a few rows every morning when I'm having my breakfast. I've very pleased with it though, and I love the colours!

I made a top similar to this last year, and wear it a lot. I found this pattern on Rav, it's been in my queue (and the yarn has been in my stash) for ages. I finally cast it on last week. Unfortunately I haven't got too far with it, but I'm blaming Liesl on that.
Once it's finished, you have to drop a lot of stitches to make the cobweb look. I'm using King Cole Mirage, which is gorgeous. I can forsee problems though, because I used this yarn for my Clapotis. It's a bit fluffy, and tends to stick to itself, so I ended up having to use a crochet hook to get the stitches to drop. 


  1. The Liesel looks really lovely. You've got a lot more patience than me! I'd have given up long ago on the second frog :) So glad the finished result lived up to your expectation after all that! Ros

  2. All your current projects are just lovely, can't wait to see the finished articles!


Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.